Thursday, January 26, 2006

a chisme source who attended said it looked more like a Canales/Allison/Watts family dinner...

How to shoot self in foot, lesson one
John Martinez held a rather sparsely-attended "meet and greet" at the La Playa on Wednesday. I'm sure the event wasn't helped by the fact his generous host, Barbara Canales, made sure her name was prominently featured on the invitation. Although I wasn't there myself (some of us working stiffs don't have the luxury of even a one-hour lunch break,) a chisme source who attended said it looked more like a Canales/Allison/Watts family dinner than a Democratic Party function. Martinez, fresh from his loss in the non-partisan City Council election, seems to have learned nothing from the experience. Attending Democratic functions, and then ignoring the precinct chairs and middle class activists, does more harm than good. And Barbara Canales' little "I can't understand why you hate me; I'm so much prettier, younger, smarter, nicer, and richer than all you silly voters" routine is getting very old. The "Gazillionaire Attorneys Club" probably wouldn't have much fun with us beer-drinking, blue-collar types, but most candidates are at least able to shake our hands without looking nauseous. I get the impression that John Martinez wants to wash his hands after he shakes mine. And I'm hearing the same type of comment from my other working-stiff friends.If you want to hang out with people who think they're better than everyone else, John, perhaps you should have filed in the Republican Primary with the other Velacrats.

No comments: